For compact placement of a large number of telecommunications and computing equipment, there is a popular and standard solution – an open frame rack server cabinet 19 42U. Structurally, it is a metal frame, which provides for mounting cross and server apparatus. The main advantage of using server racks is the efficient use of the workspace.
Key Design Features
All open-frame server racks can be divided according to design features and dimensions. They constructively distinguish:
- single frame;
- two-frame options.
At the same time, to accommodate massive modules, it is advisable to use a two-frame structure. For reliability, the construction can be additionally fastened to the floor. If mobility is needed, there are options on casters.
As for the dimensions, the height of the rack is determined by the units. A unit is a size taken as a basis, equal to 44.45 mm. The 19 42U server rack is 42 units high. This means that the structure can accommodate up to 42 servers, optical, or mounting blocks. In practice, all 42 module slots are rarely filled. This is done for easier maintenance and efficient cooling. Despite this, a 42U rack has a big advantage in capacity over, for example, SHKON 8.
The 19-inch width is the most popular solution due to the tradition developed over the years. This is the size of the telephone racks used in the past. The 19-inch width does not provide any special advantages.
The design of the server rack is demountable. In this case, it is easily disassembled and transported. Steel is used as the frame material. The thickness of the material is no more than 1.5 mm. Any powder paint is used as a metal protective coating.
Where are Open-Frame Cabinets used?
Due to the specifics of their designs, such racks must be installed in rooms in which only authorized employees have access. Since hardware is not protected by sides, it will be easy to damage computer systems, accessories, devices. Such models are suitable for mounting in:
- Server rooms and data centers;
- Audio / video installations;
- Special rooms for placing telecommunication equipment;
- Industrial environment (e.g. factory floor).
Benefits of Using Open-Frame Constructions
The high popularity of using this type of server rack is due to a number of factors:
- Significant compactness of the placement of passive and active elements of the fiber-optic communication system.
- Ergonomic and space-efficient design, especially in comparison with the same dimensions of a telecommunication cabinet.
- Hardware run in a cooler environment; open server models allow air to flow in all directions.
- A relatively low cost in comparison with a fully enclosed server rack or cabinet. Shipping costs are usually less.
- Easy to maintain. Accessing the hardware becomes very easy from any side due to its full-open
- Ease of mounting and dismounting of cross modules and blocks.
- Fast and convenient transportation due to the demountable design.
- The versatility of using a wide variety of technical communication hardware.
- The ability to correctly place a large number of blocks and cables. Inside the server rack, SCO optical cables and cords can be placed both horizontally and vertically.
- Easy to organize. A closed server rack can obstruct cable routing paths, especially with hardware that features ports on the front or sides.
Many models of two-frame telecommunication racks allow users to select the necessary options for customization for specific apparatus:
- variable position and size of racks, as well as the presence of pull-out shelves for the keyboard;
- mounted runners with the ability to customize the size depending on the current task;
- additional fasteners for improved stability.
Server Rack Cooling
Hardware cooling is one of the most acute issues when picking the right cabinet for any computing and optical equipment. The regarded type of cabinets has a great benefit in this respect due to its open design. Passive cooling of the elements has high efficiency in this case. The air can circulate in all directions, which allows avoiding overheating.
For better cooling, a room air conditioning system is used. If the rack generates a lot of heat, the room temperature is adjusted accordingly.
For proper cooling, even distribution of blocks across units is also applied. This further simplifies the maintenance of the server rack. If the density of the elements is high, and there is no possibility of distribution, the heat transfer of the server rack can reach high values, up to 50 kW per rack. In this case, it is necessary to provide for additional airflow or liquid cooling.
What are the Main Disadvantages?
Although there are too many pros, the rack has also cons, namely:
- Anyone can walk up to the racks and disconnect the cables. The product must be placed indoors to limit unauthorized access to the equipment.
- Hardware installed in an open server rack in a data center is much more susceptible to dust and other debris that are in the air and can cause problems over time.
- Although this is not the main point, such racks look rather disjointed or messy if the issue of esthetics is a big concern.
- A high level of noise. These qualities are low in comparison with a sound proof server cabinet.
Points to Consider when Picking the Best Option
A user wants to buy a functional and nice-looking product. Thus, in addition to the above-mentioned functional features, the following criteria matter:
- Convenience of assembly. This type of rack has an advantage since it is assembled faster. Manufacturers assure that the process takes 5-30 minutes.
- The stands are easier to transport when dismounted and assembled.
- Optional equipment. For cabinets, cable organizers, hinged elements, heat exchangers are produced, while open-frame models require the minimum accessories.
- Working conditions. Almost every wiring box is equipped with built-in climate control. Air conditioning is required for racks; compliance with temperature conditions is an inherent part.
- The ergonomic design of the model allows saving energy of up to 80% with passive cooling.
Tips for Choosing an Open-Frame Model
Since this equipment comes in different shapes and sizes, it can be used to accommodate a variety of devices. Open server racks can vary in height and depth, so it’s easy to choose the right one. To do this, measure the height and depth of your hardware beforehand to understand how much space is required to organize all the devices correctly and efficiently. Also, do not forget to add extra space for cables and other routing accessories at the back of the rack. When making your selection, also consider any future hardware upgrades that may affect rack size and design.
If you will follow these recommendations, you will certainly be able to choose the required server rack.
A great variety of open-frame models can be found at https://sysracks.com/catalog/open-frame-network-server-racks/. The retailer offers high-quality durable products. Pick a suitable option or ask managers to help you to choose the best option and place an order.